Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our purpose in this world

Many times I have pondered on this question, “for what purpose we have been sent in this world” and the answer doesn’t come easily, I tell you. First, I turned to my religion which tells me that we have been sent here to serve God. This doesn’t explains much, “are we here to serve His ego by dutifully going through this hardship called life?”, I asked myself that and the answer came back as “no”. So I was back to square one. The answer, rather, came in bits and pieces and I shall try to explain.

Globalization is a dirty word, I know, but can we escape it? No, we cannot. Globalization isn’t necessarily all that bad, I tell you. This world keeps getting smaller and technology plays a vital part in this globalization. So I publish a post and the whole world can see it in 2 minutes and this process will get shorter and shall pave way for newer, better technologies. Now consider a world of tomorrow where you can go anywhere in 10 minutes (like Startrek, beam me up Scotty). Will we have our respective governments in that world? Would we need visas and passports then? No, governments will become obsolete in the future it has been written.
Technology is also opening borders and more people have started voicing their concerns and opinions, which is again good. We are now seeing people rather than citizens of another country and I feel amazed to learn that somebody in Alaska has issues which are similar to mine. The world is opening up on the wings of technology and this is bad for politicians who are being exposed. People, it seems, are taking over this world and they continue to join hands.
Through technology we are also seeing similarities we have. We continue to learn that all the religions have many things in common only things have been labeled differently. We also learn that people who do not believe in God point to nature, etc., in order to explain things as they see it.
The whole point of the above was to explain that we, as a human race, are actually going in one direction, whether we like it or continue to resist it. And that is the whole point of my essay. Yes, we have been sent in this world with a mission to serve God. To me, the purpose of sending us in this world is to become one. When the whole of humanity will join as one, this purpose will be served. This may take time and generations may pass but this will happen.
So how do we serve God? You may be asking. By serving humanity we are actually serving God, I can say for sure. By serving humanity, I do not mean that we should take up charity work. Rather, being considerate to others we are also serving God.
Serving God or humanity doesn’t necessarily means undertaking a big mission in life. We need to understand that by giving a simple smile we are also doing God’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment